Foremost among Karachi’s historic buildings, is the birthplace of Quaid-e-Azam Mohammad Ali Jinnah. The house is a balconied, three-storied structure on Newneham Road, located in Kharadar, one of the oldest residential areas of the city. The house has been declared a forfended national monument.
This white marble Mausoleum with its curved Moorish Arches and copper grills reposes on an elevated 54 Sq. meters platform. The cool inner sanctum reflected the green of a four tiered crystal chandelier gifted by the Peoples Republic of China. The memorial slab framed with silver railings draws people from far and wide who come to pay their venerations to the father of the Nation and to visually examine the impressive change of sentinel ceremony that takes place everyday. Today, the Quaid-e-Azam’s Mausoleum is a prominent and impressive landmark of Karachi. Nearby are the graves of the “Quaid-e-Millat”, Liaquat Ali Khan, the first Prime Minister of Pakistan and the Qauid’s sister Mohtarma Fatima Jinnah.
Liaquat Hall is circumvented by the Bagh-e-Jinnah (Jinnah Garden). Pristinely called Frere Hall, it was once utilized as Town Hall where, during colonial days, concerts and gregarious events were held conventionally. This two storey Venetian Gothic building now houses the Liaquat Municipal Library on the ground floor and an art galley on the first floor. Denominated after one of Pakistan’s renowned artists, Sadquain, the gallery exhibits a perpetual amassment of the artist’s work. Sadquain spent last year of his life, painting a sizably voluminous mural on the ceiling of the gallery bur, dolefully, did not live to consummate it.
National Museum Of Pakistan/Burns Garden
This museum, on Dr. Ziauddin Ahmed Road, contains a consequential accumulation of items relating to Pakistan’s archaic heritage. Well-arranged galleries exhibit Indus Civilization artifacts, Gandhara sculptures, Islamic art, miniature paintings, antediluvian coins and manuscripts documenting Pakistan’s political history. There is withal an intriguing ethnological gallery. The construction work was consummated in 1960’s.
Built by the British to commemorate the silver Jubilee of Queen Victoria’s reign, this historic market is designed in the domestic Gothic style. From its center elevates a tall clock tower. The market contains shops that sell meat, fish, poultry, vegetables and other groceries. The substructure stone was laid by Sir James Fergusson, Governor of Bombay on 10-11-1884. The market was inaugurated by Mr. Prichard, the then Commissioner of Sindh on 21-3-1889.
Situated in the Defence Housing Ascendancy, Masjid-e-Tooba is a modern architectural marvel. It is verbally expressed to be the most astronomically immense single dome mosque. The dome covers central prayer hall with a capacity to accommodate congregation of 5,000 people. The mosque’s single minaret stands 70 meters high.
Situated as the landmark of Karachi’s main business center, Mereweather Tower is another historical monument of Karachi. It stands 35 meters high and carries a four- faced clock. The Tower construction work was consummated and opened for the public by Sir Evans James in 1892. The Tower was constructed in the recollection of Sir William L. Mereweather who was the Commissioner of the Sindh.
Sindh High Court
Built in the Renaissance style, this magnificent sandstone building is a coalescence of local and Roman styles of architecture. It is embellished with cupolas, balconies and tall Roman style columns.
Clifton Beach And Funland
Proximate to the popular seaside of the city, is Clifton Beach, where Karachiites flock to on weekends and holidays. Scattered along the shore are numerous stalls selling handicrafts made from seashells. Clifton has a regalement park with a bowling alley, and an aquarium.